Friday, May 11, 2012

Tattoo's vs. a Job

Hair and tattoo’s. That’s what I want to talk about today. In fact, it is something that has bugged me since I was a teen. You own a business, say, a coffee shop, and someone comes to your counter and asks for an application. Of course you would give it to them, but in your heart you are saying ‘no way’. Why? Because half of their hair is shaved off and the other half is purple and blue. A young lady came into the bank where I work to turn in her application. She was dressed nice, her hair was clean and neat, and she had a kind smile. Then she slid her hand across the counter and the answer was again, “no” in my head. She must have been near a baby when she got tattoo’s on the back of both hands. The design was a Dream Catcher (very pretty Indian art) with feathers down every finger. Very nice, but it should not be on such a visible part of the body. To apply for a job where your hands are seen more than your face, it is unwise to apply with the art being a distraction. To me it does not portray ‘individuality or creativity’, it is an obvious ploy for attention, to be noticed in a sea of suits and ties. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily. When your JOB is to GET attention for your art, then have at it!! If you are a hair dresser for the young group, go for the funky young styles (but keep it where you can still go to a nice restaurant without being kicked out). If you work for a tattoo parlor, by all means, ink yourself from head to toe. Show case your art! Don’t go into a business where the dress is suit and tie and you have a nose ring shining in the florescent lights. It’s common sense. If you want the art, put it where it can be tastefully covered. (I am a tattoo lover myself…my HUSBAND is my art board!) If you want the funky hair color, do it for a day or event with wash out color. If you want a funky style, then STYLE it funky for that day or event, don’t CUT IT where you can’t get away from it when you have a board meeting to go to. There is a soldier at the gate that has Egyptian symbols on the back of his hand and down each finger of just one hand. He is Military Police officer, demanding respect, but for me when I see that hand painted up, I honestly want to tell him to wear a glove. I don’t know why exactly, I can’t pin point it, but for me and several others (including *SHOCK* my kids) we lost a little of the fear or respect we should have for him with the markings on his hand. In our eyes, the MP’s on post are supposed to be darn near perfect. They don’t break rules, the keep US from breaking them. The tattoo on his hand throws off that image. It just does. In 1996 the Army changed the rules on tattoo’s to get more men to join…and in 2012 they are changing it back. I say good for them. A good friend of mine has a hubby that runs a tattoo shop, but he can put on a suit and look GOOD. His wife is his art board with impressive works covering her back, but she can dress up and go to a high society ball if she wanted. They know what they are doing. They have the work they want, they project the image they need for the business and for a PTA meeting both at the same time. THAT shows respect. I guess it comes with age. Be dumb when you are young, but try try try not to do anything permanent to your body until you are making a living on your own. (like ear plugs…geez)

3 comments:

  1. By Lynn Daley via Facebook:
    like you, I wish that I could better articulate just why your art won't get you the job your education says you should. Your skin is the first thing seen and some of the "art" just doesn't go with everything. "It is your first accessory" would be a good way to put it, and again, some mark ups just clash with some outfits and situations. I want to wear the art too and won't mind the idea of talking about it, but I have a family to feed. One can have valid input to a situation, but it won't get heard by someone engrossed with your jewelry, too much make up or perfume/cologne, smarts, boobs, nice dreamy eyes, or fantastic or storied tattoos. " Baby...that's just the way it is baby." (Rembrandts)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, at first I must say I was a little taken back by your post being the wife of a tattoo artist, however I must agree with you that placement is everything and it must be thought out thoroughly before getting the permanent artwork on your body. I do not like to see tattoo's on necks, hands, and of course faces. Vinnie has always talked about getting his neck tattooed and I am 100% against it and we own 2 tattoo shops but that doesn't change my opinion about that at all! You will never see me with tattoo's going down my arms simply because I would want to be able to cover my tattoos if I ever chose to. I love being able to choose when to show off the tattoos that I have rather than having to choose to hide them. :)
    So, did the girl turn in her application?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, you were IN my post. :) Yes, the girl turned in her application, and no, she did not get the job. There is no way to cover it. We need people to pay attention to their money being counted back out to them rather than getting distracted by the tattoo. (she would have to do everything twice per customer)

    ReplyDelete