Monday, May 14, 2012

Things I Never Knew

This is pretty morbid, but there is a personal issue going on that brought this subject up for me. Like many of my posts, this is just something to THINK about, not intended to depress but more to take action if you see this in yourself. If you died today, would you feel that your child had the full benefit of knowing you? Would he be able to share a story with his own child about a memory he has of you? Would she discuss the great works you did, and feel pride that she is your child? Would he be able to say “This is what my father believed” or “This is how my mother felt about this”. Would she remember your smile, your laugh? Would he be able to pick up an object that belonged to you, and tell that objects story? Would she have a picture of you on her wall? If your child died today, would you feel you knew them? Would you grieve with the knowledge that they knew their whole life that they were loved and cherished by you? Would they leave this world knowing they always had your support in everything they did and everything they are? Or would you go through their belongings in an attempt to learn what they thought and felt? Would a picture of them in soccer make you wonder why you don’t remember attending a game? Would a their journal entry make you say “I never knew” this happened or that she felt this way? In those final moments, whenever they may be, I want our eyes to meet in love and not a word or regret come from our lips. I never want to look back and wonder about the Things I Never Knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment