Monday, February 13, 2012

Do You Remember?

Music...It's what my husband uses to communicate even after all these years. Music is one of those things that help me remember certain things, people and places...good memories. I remember the old stereo speakers blinking all sorts of colors when my mom put on her 'Monkies' album (and 'album' is a circle vinyl CD that we used to put a needle on while it spun around to play the music) I remember memorizing all the songs because she sat down on the floor with us and told us the words while she sang. She would explain what it meant, and we were mesmerized by her voice. I remember being afraid at night when all three of us little girls shared a room and we would beg our big sister to sing "Silent Night". Most times I fell asleep in the middle of it. She has our mother's voice. I still use it as a comfort when things get stressful. I remember sitting in my brothers "off limits" room (except to me it seemed)and listening to "Acappella" while listening to the stupid stuff my brother and his friend did the night before. I liked the close relationship we had and that he felt he could talk to me or around me without fear...and I still have that with him. It also reminds me of the times before drama and stress of growing up, when nothing bad really happened and if it did I was oblivious. I remember my boyfriend going off to the Army but calling me before he left to tell me to turn on the radio. A music request came just for me from him called "Right Here Waiting" and that song both comforted and haunted me for years after. Just the first three notes would have me crying or quickly changing the channel for 13 years. It's also the song I got married to many, MANY years later. (To Him) I can't stand Simon and Garfunkel except for one song...If I hear it I will know it. One of the first memories I have of my parents are them dancing to that song. I learned from that one song, and the vision it brings, what love means and what it looks like. I felt it. I might have been small but I know that peace they gave in the room when they forgot my sister and I were there watching them just for a moment. When I miss my Dad I sing "Zipadee Do Dah" because that's what he used to sing for no reason other than he was happy and that was one of the songs he could sing really well. (Okay, I have to say that I would have to take after my dad in the singing department...it's not good, but we mean well) He always came up with silly songs but I don't think he ever completed them. All I know is he enjoyed doing it, and being silly, and us kids were a great audience. I remember "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston ONLY because my mom showed us how to swivel our hips to it. She could hit all the high notes, and I have never heard anyone but Whitney sing that song as well as my mom could. Figure eight girls, figure eight! She knew what she was talking about, that dance still works when it needs to. Do YOU Remember?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this blog made me cry! How true this is! Music has the most profound way of touching your soul and getting in deep to stir emotions that you didn't even know existed. Certain songs can just transport you instantly back to a time and place long ago...to happier and safer times. There are some songs that I cannot listen to either. Too many sad memories and I have to quickly switch the song or station. Certain songs that remind me of my Dad who has passed away (songs I used to hate him playing!) That now I cherish and will never get tired of hearing. The world would not be the same without music! ~Shawnie~

    ReplyDelete