Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Screaming Again?

Do you ever get irritated at that kid in Walmart that is screaming and throwing a tantrum because he/she didn't get what they wanted or something didn't go as planned? You shake your head, think all these bad thoughts about the parents, and cover your ears as you walk away. Now imagine a grown up in their place...Funny huh?~~~~~~~~~~~~ We do the same thing, we shake our head and walk away in embarrassment. They didn't get what they want or something didn't go as planned and they have a break down right there in front of everyone. Mostly in a reaction against the kids. Why is it not okay for a CHILD, one who is still learning how to control their behavior, but we make it okay for the adults?~~~~~~~~~~~ It's not an exact quote but Hall Runkel remarked "Your child can not just learn to control their own feelings and behavior when they are getting screamed at, they must first control YOUR feelings and behavior and THEN their own." How is that fair? We want them to do as they are told, even if they don't agree or if it upsets them. That is something they have to learn to live with and work around, all while controlling outbursts they REALLY want to have. While we set these standards on our kids, we don't set the same standard for ourselves. How can you really be surprised if your child feels it is okay to scream and fuss at someone? It's what they know, it's what you showed is okay, and it is something they WILL DO until they are shown another way. ~~~~~~~~~~ So why do you have different standards for yourself? Because you are an adult and have the 'right' to do what you want? You are probably right, in a way. But you were given the job as a teacher, and if you think this is right for you, then you are teaching that it is right for your child. Anywhere. Anytime. If you can erupt, you best believe they can too. If you think it is embarrassing for your child to behave in this manner in a public place, imagine how your child feels for you to lose that control as well. How embarrassing.~~~~~~~~~~ This morning I lost my temper. I wanted to dump a bowl of cereal over my child's head. Seriously I did. So I shrunk myself to child size to see if that childish behavior could be accepted. Nope. Didn't work. But that image of myself as a child sure did. I calmed myself real quick and left the room rather than yell and scream. If he can't control his own feelings, how is he supposed to take on the added responsibility of controlling mine? So when you catch yourself screaming again about something, imagine what your mama would do to you if you were a kid!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I tried to post some whitty and incitefull comments on here and it wouldn't let me until I logged in. I have however, forgotten my username and pw once again. Now that I am logged on and can comment I do not remember what it was that I had said. It is these types of situations that lead as to the yelling. If it wasn't for your post and my son not feeling well I would probablly be yelling right now. Deep breath in Deep breath out!

    ReplyDelete