Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hidden Talents

My second in line teen son came to the livingroom and announced that he was going to try out for the glee club. Before I could laugh, which was my true intention (since I try not to lie), his older brother said, "That's not your thing, that's more *the little brother's* thing." (*I don't put my kids names in the blog) To which his brother responded, "Yeah, you're right", and mimicked the actors on TV. He made a joke of it, but WHAT IF he really meant it and we messed that moment up? The boys seem to have found their place, their talent, all except for the oldest. He is pretty quiet and shy, so it's hard for him to join a club or other activity unless he is forced. But he still asks me what he should join and what is he good at. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If I was going to judge, just sorta pick one for each kid it would be like this: My oldest should be in an art or construction class. He is great at creating, although he skips details due to boredom. I also think because of his speed and strength that he would be good at swimming and track. My second son is pretty intellectual, willful and determined. That's why he is in Raiders (military club in school) and FBLA (young business course). He loves to mentally and physically challenge himself. My third is a daredevil, loves attention, and is NOT shy at all. He is in choir in school, joins groups in the community for such activities, as well as posting his own dance video on You Tube. That's why the older brothers stated he would be the one to try out for the Glee Club when he is older (which he probably will). I don't want to be a parent that sees what I want to see in my kid and makes a judgement call on who they REALLY are. If my Raider wants to be in Glee club, why not?! If my shy one wants to do a play for the community, I should jump for joy, not give him more excuses and fears. If my third one wants to be in Raiders, small as he is, then I should say GO FOR IT! and not panic about the injuries he will come home with. Who says they can't do what they want? Who says I have a right to tell them 'that's not your thing'? Who says we, as parents, have to form everythingabout them? We give them morals and values, we give them a good foundation, but eventually they are going to need to figure out what makes them tick. That child that hated reading may grow up to be a wonderful and talented author. The kid who couldn't carry a tune as a teen may be the next pop singer. (Hello? Cindy Lauper?) Shame on us for deciding WHO THEY ARE before they even figured it out. Be their cheering squad!!! Don't bury a special gift by accident. Back off, give them room to breath and grow, and regardless of your misgivings...let them show their hidden talents.

3 comments:

  1. How very right you are!!! I am also very honest with my children, but if they really want to do something and have their heart set on it...who am I to tell them they shouldn't try regardless of what I perceive their talents to be! I am always telling them that if they really set their minds to something, then they can accomplish anything! Natural talent is only a small fraction of the overall picture. It's the dedication, drive, and love of something that truly matters and usually results in success. Your kid may be the fastest runner you have ever seen or the best artist...but if their heart is not truly in it, then it doesn't even matter how much talent they have in it! If my child asks me directly if I think they are "great" at something (such as singing) and I KNOW THEY ARE NOT...I am honest though (in a very nice way)because I certainly wouldn't want my child getting up in front of hundreds of people just to later be humiliated and snickered at (American Idol auditions come to mind! LOL) There are times when we do need to be upfront with our kids, but that doesn't mean we should "pigeon hole" them and tell them they can't or shouldn't try to do something. Many people have been laughed at for believing in their dreams...only later to be praised for their success because they CHOSE not to give up!! EVERY CHILD has special talents or gifts and we should nurture their dreams as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought Gavin would be the performer/sports star. and Garrett would be a math wiz. now Gavin is not so into sports or acting and Garrett is a sports freak. I never thought Garrett would be into fiction and now he loves it. I secretly think Garrett would be a great actor. He has lots of natural charisma. they keep surprising me. Right now Fiona is in limbo. She is very smart but all the things she was interested in before now seem to not interest her. :( she knows a lot about tv shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of the "American Idol" thing too... I love my oldest, but she is not the GREATEST singer and she has NO rhythm... BUT ... she she gives it her ALL... she joined the choir at both Church and school and did quite well... she could not be a soloist but does great with all the other voices helping to guide her... she sings PERFECTLY in a group.. I would never have thought and never pushed her... she asked, I said, well... you know that you aren't really great at singing, are you sure? She said, yup! I wanna do it! I would have never have known if she hadn't pushed the negative aside and done it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete